"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."
--Anthony Brandt--


Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Let us not forget.....to be there when needed!!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not so Happy St. Patrick's Day

****be prepared this is a very long post********

It all started about a week ago.

Thursday Kaiden had to go to the dentist get some cavities filled (Which was really not all that fun but nothing compared to what was coming).

Then Friday morning he woke up and said that his tummy was hurting. After discussing the options with Kaiden of either staying home and in bed or going to school he wanted to go to school and I, of course being the type of mother that I am, sent him to school after giving him some Ibuprofen. At about 10:30 I received a call that I need to come and pick Kaiden up at school because he just wasn't feeling good. He really looked "yucky" and I felt really bad about sending him. He spent that day sleeping.

Then Saturday he spent most of the day on the couch with a fever. I would give him some medicine and within a half an hour he would be up running around the house like he was not sick at all then the medicine would wear off and he would be back on the couch again.
On Sunday we decided that we would all go to Sacrament meeting and then I would bring Kaiden back home so that we didn't share any germs. He woke up Sunday morning just fine and at Sacrament meeting was able to goof around enough to get in trouble a couple of times. Eric gave him the option of going home after the meeting and going straight to bed or going to class. He opted for class because he thought that he was going to get to go home and watch movies all day. Now, just so that you know, if he would have still been acting sick or had a fever we would not have sent him to class but he was just fine.

By Monday he was great and went back to school as usual and then came home and rode his snowmobile for about 2 1/2 hours straight. He had so much fun.

Then Tuesday after school he came home and went outside to play in the beautiful weather and climb the snow hills. (does this sound like a sick kid? I didn't think so either) When I made him come in the house to do his homework he said that his tummy was hurting again and that he was freezing. I figured for one that he didn't want to do his homework and that he was just wanting to have an excuse to go lay on the couch and that he was freezing because he had just come in from playing in the snow and was cold. After a quick trip to the bathroom and a warm sweatshirt he was fine. That night he was still saying that he was cold and he wanted to sleep in his sweatshirt. I figured that that was fine and thought he was just being a goof-ball. (we do have those moments often at our home)

Wednesday morning Kaiden was really hard to get up and moving. Which is really not normal for him at all. He usually gets right out of bed when I wake him up and he is ready for breakfast. Because I had no milk because our fridge died, I will do a post on that later, I had made him eggs which he loves. He just wouldn't eat. He would just sit and look at the eggs and then finally take a bite after I told him that he needed to hurry and eat. He made it about half way through his egg and then it was time to get ready before the bus got here. I got him dressed and he just kept telling me that he didn't feel good. So I finally took his temperature and it was 102.0 degrees. WOW! He really is sick. I gave him some Ibuprofen and sent him back to bed. At 9:00 we headed up to the Dr.'s office to get him in and they couldn't see him until 11:45. I headed up to my moms to wait for a little while and then left the girls at her house so that I could take Kaiden in.
We got there and the Dr. starts asking all of the normal questions. When did he start getting sick? What hurts? Where? What are you giving him? All of the normals. I told him that it just starts as a stomach ache and then turns into a fever. Nothing else happens. The Dr. decides to check Kaidens tummy and finds that if he pushes on the sides it hurts. He has Kaiden go give him a urine sample. Then the Dr. comes back and says "Well he has got a lot of stuff going on". That is where I kinda get lost in all of the things he is telling me. "Kidney infection, not common in kids, strong antibiotics, over night in the hospital, ultrasound on kidneys, blood test, Primary Children's Hospital". Whoa, slow down a minute. The nurse then walks in with a bin full of needles and tubes and says that she is ready. Wait for what? I am still trying to figure out what is going on. 2 seconds later she is drawing blood from my poor little boy. I am holding his hand and trying to keep him calm and trying to sort out all of the things that the Dr. told me 3 seconds ago and Kaiden is obviously traumatized by what is happening and I am trying to help him understand. After that the nurse says to me "OK did you explain to him what is happening next?" "No" I said "I don't even know!" She explains that they need to give him a shot of Rocephin. It is a very strong antibiotic and it is very painful. The needle itself is huge and then the rocephin stings really bad. They have to mix it with a numbing agent so that it stops hurting soon. There my little boy is hearing all of this stuff. You can see the concern in his eyes and then tears rolling down his cheeks.
Now this is when I start thinking "Wait a minute. You were just supposed to tell me that he has a little bug and then give me a prescription for some antibiotics and tell me to call in a couple of days if he is not feeling any better." What in the world is going on.
Another 2 seconds goes by and the nurse is back with the Rocephin shot. It has to go into the muscle, so they have me pull Kaidens pants down just enough to get to the top of his thigh. "OK, buddy just look at me. They are going to do this very quick and then we will be done." You could see the pain the instant that needle got to his leg. And then when he medicine started going in. Oh man I hate to see my kids in pain. But I knew that if I started to cry it would make Kaiden more anxious and upset and that was not going to help. Well the shot was NOT quick. The medicine is so thick that it takes forever to get into his leg. Finally the shot was done. Kaiden is crying and sweating. I am trying to talk to the Dr. to see what is really going on.
He set us up for an appointment at 4:00 to get an ultrasound done on his Kidneys to make sure that he doesn't have growth or something going on with them.
They handed Kaiden a drink of water a sticker and a sucker and said "OK, do you have a cell phone? We will give you a call when the lab tests get back. And after your ultrasound wait at the hospital until I call so that I can tell you what you need to do." UMMMM OK.
We headed back to my moms to let her know what was going on and to check on the girls. Kaiden layed on the couch and slept off and on and my mom and I went upstairs and sat at the computer researching Kidney infections. We didn't learn too much, all that it told us was that it can be caused from a bladder infections and a few other things that don't apply to boys. Kaiden had not had a bladder infection and so were were really confused about what caused his. At 3:30 we headed to Afton to get an ultrasound. Kelsey was asleep and Keira decided to stay with grandma until we got back. I don't know what I would do without my mom!!! THANKS MOM! We got Kaiden's ultrasound done and the lady that did it was awesome with him. She could see that he was freezing (from the fever and all of the trauma of the day). She went and got him a nicely heated up blanket and turned the lights down so that he would be more comfortable. She did the ultrasound quickly and let Kaiden see all of the pictures that she was taking of his Kidneys and explained what she was doing. Kaiden thought it was way cool and the best part of his whole day. (Ya, like that was hard to beat) She sent us back to the waiting room with a new warm blanket and told us she would let us know what Kaiden's Dr. said. About 10 minutes later Kaiden's Dr. called me on the hospital phone (that was kinda weird) and said that things looked OK for now and that we could go home. He would give us a call later when his lab tests came back.
The Dr. did call later and said that some of the lab results came back and they looked pretty good. His white blood count was high (normal is 5,000-10,000 and his was 12,000. They put kids in the hospital if it is 14,000+) but not to bad and the blood cells that fight off disease was high too. So that is good. But it also shows that something is not quite right. He told me to bring him back in the morning for another shot of antibiotics and then the rest of the lab results would be back on Friday. Yep, the poor kid was not done getting picked on.
That night after the medicine kicked in he was doing pretty good. And feeling a lot better.

Today, my mom came down to watch the girls while I took Kaiden in for his 2nd shot of antibiotics. Again what would I do without her?? She is so amazing. I love her so much.
Kaiden was really nervous about his shot but did a lot better today than yesterday. But it is definitely a bad shot. I really feel bad him. The Dr. said that we need to schedule an appointment with Primary Children's Hospital within the next month or two and get a full work up done on his kidneys (unless he has another infection before then, we hope not). Kaiden should not be having problems right now especially without a bladder infection first (which means that something has caused it and we don't know what) and he said that he would also call me tomorrow morning with the rest of the lab results and then we would know where we are at. He also told us that we might have to come in tomorrow for one more shot. My heart just sunk and you could just see the disappointment on Kaiden's face. But it is definitely better that having to be in the hospital with IV antibiotics.
Later today my dad stopped by to see how Kaiden was doing. It really made Kaiden feel good. THANKS DAD! My parents are the best!!

So that is what has been happening. Kaiden is doing very well right now and is up playing with Keira. He is a little bit dehydrated and has a really small appetite but he is doing so much better than yesterday. And for those of you that sat and read this whole post. You deserve a chocolate or something.

4 comments:

Tami said...

That was a terrible post!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Holy cow! That sucks so bad! Let me know if I can help you wiht your other kids and tell Kaiden to get better soon!

Brittney said...

Umm.. so that was was me that posted that last comment! I guess I was signed in as Clay!

Sam and Kurtis said...

Oh man that is a horrible few days. Poor Kaiden. I just about started crying during the post. I'm so sorry about the shots he's much braver than i am. We'll keep you guys in our prayers that everything goes well.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers